CoE: Moodle Login
Search VLab Pages
Category Archives: Vlab News
What is in the Calendar in March?
- 11-15 March – Satellite Application Course on Tropical Cyclones
- 19-30 March – Using the Copernicus Marine Data Stream for Ocean Applications – Online phase
- 20-22 March – Baltic+ 2018 – Classroom phase
- 28 March – Regional Focus Group of Americas and Caribbean – Discussions in English and Spanish
Application to attend some of the events above is already closed. To avoid disappointments, make sure to keep an eye on application deadlines of future training. Here are those that will close in March:
- Workshop on the Use of Gridded Satellite Data for Climate Services – Online phase. Deadline to apply: 9 March 2018.
- SEEMET Advanced Satellite Meteorology course. Deadline to apply: 9 March 2018.
For more information about training opportunities in satellite related topics, please see https://www.wmo-sat.info/vlab/calendar-of-events/
JMA launches HimawariRequest service for target observations in RA II and RA V
Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) launched the new international HimawariRequest satellite service for RA II and RA V, in collaboration with the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. HimawariRequest allows users of Himawari-8/9 satellite data to request Target Area observations covering a 1000kmx1000km area every 2.5 minutes. Target Area observations provide more accurate tracking and better insight into severe events, for example tropical cyclones or volcanic eruptions, and thus contribute to reducing the impact of natural disasters in RA II and RA V.
HimawariRequest is a direct outcome of a recommendation by the Joint RA II/RA V Workshop on WIGOS for Disaster Risk Reduction held in October 2015 in Jakarta, Indonesia, and subsequent discussions within the WMO Space Programme and its Inter-Programme Expert Team on Satellite Utilization and Products (IPET-SUP).
More information on HimawariRequest: JMA Press Release (18 January 2018)